New Year’s Tips To Reboot Your Romantic Relationship
New Year’s is just around the corner and it’s time to think about the resolutions and changes you would like to make in your romantic relationships so that they are stronger and more secure than ever.
According to research from the Journal of Clinical Psychology, approximately 8% of Americans actually make good on their New Year’s resolutions. And, 80% of resolutions fail by mid-February.
Not very promising.
But here’s the good news.
In my many years of clinical practice I have learned some truths about the healthy habits of couples whose relationships endure.
So, instead of New Year’s resolutions for 2020, I would like to pass onto you some of those healthy habits.
If you practice them day after day, you are guaranteed to develop long-lasting staying power in your romantic relationships.
- Kindness – Help each other without expecting in return. The good news is that kindness is something you can choose anywhere, anytime.
- Growth – Both of you need to learn from your mistakes. You must grow as individuals and partners in your relationship.
- Self-love – You need to love and take care of each other as you love and take care of yourselves.
- Connect daily – No matter how busy you are you must stay physically and emotionally close.
- Communicate – Learning to listen and to communicate openly and honestly is one of the best indicators of a successful relationship. Good communication is critical to resolving conflict.
- Find ways to show you are thinking of each other. Continuously find ways to express how much you mean to each other.
- Don’t make assumptions about what your partner is feeling and thinking. As much as you think you know your partner, you simply don’t know what’s going on inside them unless you ask.
- Find a balance between separateness and togetherness. You want to develop the ability to rely on both your Self and your partnership.
- Respect – You must respect your partner’s views and opinions even when they are different from yours.
In building a relationship, conscious attention must be paid to reinforcing a strong overall vision.
Thinking long-term is crucial
Persistence, determination, and resilience are the keys.
You will get out of it what you put in it.
Wishing you and yours all the best in 2020.
It is my sincere hope that all information on my website provides you with content that inspires you to enhance your relationships. These materials are not intended to be a substitute for my counseling services. If you are ready to make that leap, please click here to set up a complimentary consultation.